Monday, July 18, 2011

inspiration: troy wayrynen

A number of years ago I had the opportunity to photograph a theatrical production by a local company. I had never shot any stage performance before.  A friend of mine was a reporter at the Columbian newspaper, so he referred me to the Photo Editor at the paper, Troy Wayrynen.  Troy gave us some good advice, and over the years I've become friends with Troy as I would update him my progress/struggles in photography from time to time. One thing I appreciate about Troy, aside from being a wonderful photographer, is that he would always take the time to look at my images and give me great advice and encouragement.  Of course whenever I see his photos in the paper, I'd feel like a grasshopper all over again. I have so much respect for photojournalists as they are master storytellers through their photographs, often on short notice.

Here are some advices from Troy:

   "...immerse yourself in it to the fullest commitment you can."

   "Find out what you like about the process and master it."

   "Learn about lighting and explore all aspects of it. Be willing to experiment, whether it's PHOTOSHOP or a different technique at the moment of capture. Don't be afraid to fail (it's the best way to learn)."

   "Network with others and get their feedback."

   "Carry a camera as often as you can."

You can see more of Troy's work at picturesbytroy.

2 comments:

  1. Larry, I've know Troy since he was 18. He was at one time my photo assistant. You're spot on when you say that Troy is always willing to spend time with others. He's generous not only with his time, but his talent and insights. I've watched him over the years and I think he's one of the best photographers I've seen come down the pike. The best thing is that we've remained close friends for these many years. I've said it many times: Troy is a joy!

    Tony Boccaccio
    Former National Geographic photographer

    ReplyDelete