Monday, September 19, 2011

"oh, I wish I had my camera with me!"

"Oh, I wish I had my camera with me!" is something I used to say a lot to Kodak moments. You may have as well. Now-a-days with my iPhone, this is no longer the case. I always have a camera on me, even when I go for a ride on my bike. In fact, sometimes when I have both my iPhone and big Nikon on me, I'll pull out the iPhone because it's easier/quicker for a shot. And frankly I've been impressed with what that itty bitty camera can do. The camera app that came with the phone doesn't have too many controls, but I found by tapping on a specific location on the screen, you can set focus and exposure at that location in the scene. There are, of course, lots of camera apps out there that will give you more controls. I kinda like the simplicity of the built-in app. I also like apps such as Instagram that forces you to do a square crop, and then choose from a number of preset processings. I typically go through the different of presets, and one of them would speak to me more than the others. Sometimes I'll use the Photoshop Express app to do slight adjustments, crop/rotate or add artistic borders. Most of time it's straight out of the camera or Instagram. The lack of fancy controls and processing is not necessarily a bad thing. At moderate or low light the shutter tends to be slowish, and you can get really interesting results just from that, like this first image with the road streaking. And a few more Kodak moments, caught on the iPhone. In some cases, drive-by shooting.











No comments:

Post a Comment